Re: iceweasel/iceape/epiphany/galeon download manager problems (etch)

Matthew K Poer <matthewpoer@gmail.com> writes:

> Perhaps you can edit the Download Preferances in Gecko-Based w/e to
> download to a differant directory? Try /tmp or even /home/you/download/.
> If it has to do with your home directory being very large, this may help.

I tried this: But I can't change the download directory by setting it
in the preferences, in the prefs.js file or using
about:config. Firefox continues to save in the last directory I used,
whatever the settings. Very strange that.

I can change it by just choosing some other place in the the "save as"
dialog, but I cannot get rid of that dialog (in theory for instance
setting "Saves files to Desktop" should get away with that dialog, but
it doesn't).

When I change the directory things indeed get fast enough: But this is
still a problem, as I prefer to have everything in the same directory.

I also wonder, why this suddenly becomes a problem: The Debian sarge
Firefox didn't have that problem.

> Also, perhaps an aptitude reinstall of some of the mozilla/gecko
> libraries will help? It seems that these are common in all packages:
> libatk1.0-0
> libcairo2
> libfontconfig1
> libglib2.0-0
> libgtk2.0-0
> libstdc++6
> libx11-6
> libxi6
> libxrender1
> zlib1g

I checked those libraries. They seem to be all installed ok and there
are no stale libraries laying around, as far as I can see (using
ldconfig).

Thanks a lot!

Andreas Goesele

--
Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est.