Re: iceweasel/iceape/epiphany/galeon download manager problems (etch)

Andreas Goesele wrote:
> Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 07:03:43PM +0200, Andreas Goesele wrote:
>
>>> having moved from sarge to etch I now have a big problem with the
>>> browsers in the subject line: Downloading a page is incredibly slow or
>>> even makes the browsers hang:
>> Try downloading a large package using wget, and see how fast it goes.
>
> Very fast :-)
>
>> This way we'll know if it's your connection or the Mozilla engine.
>
> No, it's definitely Mozilla related.
>
>> Have you tried it with Konqeuror yet?
>
> Konqueror opens (visibly) my home directory for saving - that for the
> first time takes some time, but for later saving it's much faster
> than with Mozilla. Saving itself goes very fast. (Very slow for
> Mozilla etc.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andreas Goesele

Perhaps you can edit the Download Preferances in Gecko-Based w/e to
download to a differant directory? Try /tmp or even /home/you/download/.
If it has to do with your home directory being very large, this may help.

Also, perhaps an aptitude reinstall of some of the mozilla/gecko
libraries will help? It seems that these are common in all packages:
libatk1.0-0
libcairo2
libfontconfig1
libglib2.0-0
libgtk2.0-0
libstdc++6
libx11-6
libxi6
libxrender1
zlib1g

- --
Please do not use HTML mail for fully-textual messages.
Matthew K Poer <matthewpoer@gmail.com>
Location: GA, USA              Web: http://matthewpoer.freehostia.com
GnuPG Public Key: 4DD0A9A6     Keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net
Thinkpad 600: Debian Sarge     Sony VAIO PCV-RS 520: Debian Etch