Re: [Multi] Wireless Network Configuration

Michael Pobega(pobega@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 04:40:39PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Michael Pobega(pobega@gmail.com) is reported to have said:

<snip previous posts in the thread>

> > > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> > > eth2: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> > > eth2: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> > > Bind socket to interface: No such device
> > > Failed to bring up eth2
> > > done.
> > > Starting the ipw3945d...
> > >
> > > After looking at the logs I think I realize why though; My ipw3945d is
> > > being started after networking. Any ideas how I can change the order?
> >
> > I have to assume this is a laptop.  Do you have any of these packages
> > installed?  laptop-net, laptop-netconf, or guessnet.
> >
> > If yes, then have they been configured correctly, if not I could only
> > guess what is wrong with your interfaces file as I have not been able
> > to see it and my crystal ball is out for repair.
> >
> > WT
> >

> Nope, none of those packages are installed.

Ok, good, that narrows it down a lot.

> And also, my /etc/network/interfaces (Sorry about not posting it before)
>
> > [pobega]$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
> > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
> >
> > iface eth2 inet dhcp
> >    wireless-essid 1UC68
> >    wireless-key1 0FB3-D18E-79
> >    wireless-keymode open
> >
> > auto eth2

1.  Is 1UC68 the AP you want to connect to?
2.  Is this an open AP?  I have yet to add encryption to my AP so am
not sure about this, but I can't find an 'key2' in the iwconfig man
page. Also if its' open, whay the key??

Anyway here is my working interfaces for a different card.

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
    pre-up modprobe ipw2100
    pre-up ifconfig eth1 mtu 1492
    post-down rmmod ipw2100

Again.  This is for an open AP here.

This one is for a PCMCIA Atheros chipset that doesn't use dhcp.

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet manual
    address 192.168.1.17
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.1.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.1.3
    pre-up wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    pre-up wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
    pre-up ifconfig ath0 mtu 1492
    wireless-mode Managed
    wireless-nick T40
    wireless-key off
    post-down wlanconfig ath0 destroy

I use both of these on a Thinkpad T40.  War wardriving the eth1
interface does connect to some open APs'.

I will be adding WPA to my AP this weekend so may know more then.
I have to get that working because my Satellite network is being
installed next week.  Goodby 2.4 kbs, finally!

HTH

Wayne

--
Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.