From: Douglas Allan Tutty [mailto:dtutty@porchlight.ca]
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:22 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Replicate installed packages to new system

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 02:36:38PM -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 06:21:08PM -0000, McNamee, John wrote:
> > I've been evaluating Etch for several months on a test machine, and
now
> > I'd like to install it on a production server.  What's the best way
> > get the list of packages installed on the test system, and then
> > re-install those packages on the new system?
> >
> > --John
> >

> Well there's loads of ways you can do it.
>
> aptitude search "~i" will give you a list of your installed packages.
> This will probably be a lot though, and will take a long time to
install
> them on the other computer.

I use:
	#aptitude search '~i!~M'

This shows only the packages installed (~i) but not automatically (!~M),
in other words, the packages that I specifically installed.

The difficulty with just using dpkg get selections is that the
dependencies and some package names will have changed.  It also allows
you to maintain the anti-cruft features of aptitude going forward.

Generating this list of packages is part of my daily cron 'housekeeping'
script that becomes part of my overall backup strategy.

Doug.