Re: Replicate installed packages to new system

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:21:08 -0000
"McNamee, John" <john.mcnamee@hp.com> wrote:

> I've been evaluating Etch for several months on a test machine, and
> now I'd like to install it on a production server.  What's the best
> way to get the list of packages installed on the test system, and then
> re-install those packages on the new system?
>
> --John

1> On your test machine do: "dpkg --get-selections "*" > packages.dpkg".

2> Install a base system on the new machine and copy the "packages.dpkg"
to it.

3> On the new machine run: "dpkg --set-selections < packages.dpkg".

4> On the new machine run: "apt-get dselect-upgrade".

Your package installation should now match.

--
Bill Thompson
BillT@Mahagonny.com