Re: How to use dead keys

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 05:12:21 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>  Florian Kulzer wrote:

> >>  Thanks Alok,
> >>
> >>  I'm gonna check this out, but at first glance it looks like no easy way
> >>  do.
> > In KDE you can go to "Control Center > Regional & Accessibility >
> > Keyboard Layout" and click on the "Xkb Options" tab on the right hand
> > side. If you check "Enable xkb options" you can fine-tune the behavior
> > of many keys. Scroll down a bit and you will see "Compose Key Position"
> > with about 5 options. Select one of them, e.g. "Right Win-key is
> > compose" and you can do things like this:
> > press <compose key> then " then a = ä
> > press <compose key> then ' then a = á
> > press <compose key> then / then o = ø
> > press <compose key> then o then a = å
> > press <compose key> then ^ then o = ô
> > press <compose key> then s then s = ß
> > press <compose key> then , then c = ç
> > press <compose key> then ~ then n = ñ
> > press <compose key> then / then c = ¢
> > etc.
>
>  And for those of "us" who don't have KDE?

Try

setxkbmap -option compose:rwin

or "compose:rctrl", "compose:menu", "compose:caps" "compose:ralt",
"compose:lwin", depending on which key you want to use. This should work
in all of X; the only KDE-specific thing in my other mail was the GUI to
set the xkb options.

And just in case: On the ttys the compose functionality is normally
assigned to CTRL + . (i.e. press and hold CTRL, then press the "." key,
then release these two keys and type the two characters that you want to
amalgamate.)

--
Regards,
          Florian