Re: How to use dead keys

Manon Metten wrote:

On 4/11/07, *steef* <steefvanduin@zonnet.nl <mailto:steefvanduin@zonnet.nl>> wrote:

    Manon Metten wrote:
    > Linux debian 2.6.18-4-486 #1 Mon Mar 26 16:39:10 UTC 2007 i686
    GNU/Linux

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to be able to insert accented chars, like àáäèéëìíïòóöùúü by
    > means of the keyboard.
    > I've googled and spent several hours trying to figure out how, but
    > with no result.
    > The above accented chars I've entered with KCharSelect but
    that's not
    > very convenient if you use them a lot.
    > I've read something about dead keys, but don't know how to use them.
    >

    > The settings in 'Control Center - Keyboard Layout' are:
    >
    > Keyboard model: Generic 104-key PC
    > Layout: US English
    > Keymap: us
    > Layout variant: default
    >
    > I've tried various settings, but with no result.
    > Although Dutch is my native language, I like US English to stay the
    > default language on my system.
    > I prefer eg. US 'Cancel' over NL 'Annuleren' or US 'File' over NL
    > 'Bestand' etc.
    >

    > /etc/locale.gen reads:
    >
    > en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
    >
    > en_US ISO-8859-1
    > nl_NL.UTF-8 UTF-8
    > nl_NL@euro ISO-8859-15
    >

    > When I type locale in a console, the output is:
    >
    > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    > LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
    > LC_ALL=
    >

    > Any help appreciated, Manon.

      hi manon,

    if you are using KDE:

    do in a konsole :

    kcontrol

    go to Regional & Accessability

    and then to

    Keyboard Layout.

    enable keyboard layouts,

    and if you use  an U.S English keyboard

    activitate with a mouse-click U.S. English

    down at the same column (kolom )

    click on layout variant and change that variant into:

    intl

    hope this helps,,
    greetings,

    groet,

    steef

Hi Steef,

I already tried this. It's  not what I mean.
Changing to 'intl' gives me access to only some accented chars but not by means of dead keys.

On my old Amiga I was used to access an accented char by pressing a dead key and then the appropriate vowel. Eg: ALT-F + a = á; ALT-F + e = é; ALT-G + a = à; ALT-G + e = è; etc.
The same applies to the other vowels and other accents.
This of course only valid for the ASCII char set of which all accented chars range from 192 - 255.

So basically, what I want is to press a dead key and than a vowel to produce an accented char.
How do I achieve this?

Greetings, Manon.

hello manon,

in my opinion using deadkeys the way you want could be rather complicated (just google around a bit).

a rather long time ago i worked with deadkeys under DOS with wp 5.1. since then i ran into trouble, using other programs. but maybe all this is better now. i cannot advise you on this.

regards,

steef