How to use dead keys

Linux debian 2.6.18-4-486 #1 Mon Mar 26 16:39:10 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Hi,

I want to be able to insert accented chars, like àáäèéëìíïòóöùúü by means of the keyboard.
I've googled and spent several hours trying to figure out how, but with no result.
The above accented chars I've entered with KCharSelect but that's not very convenient if you use them a lot.
I've read something about dead keys, but don't know how to use them.

The settings in 'Control Center - Keyboard Layout' are:

Keyboard model: Generic 104-key PC
Layout: US English
Keymap: us
Layout variant: default

I've tried various settings, but with no result.
Although Dutch is my native language, I like US English to stay the default language on my system.
I prefer eg. US 'Cancel' over NL 'Annuleren' or US 'File' over NL 'Bestand' etc.

/etc/locale.gen reads:

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

en_US ISO-8859-1
nl_NL.UTF-8 UTF-8
nl_NL@euro ISO-8859-15

When I type locale in a console, the output is:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"