Re: Document reader?

On 4/11/07, Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Dave Walker wrote:

> On 4/10/07, Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Dave Walker wrote:
>>
>> > In anticipation of distribution upgrading from Sarge (kernel 2.4) to
>> > Etch, I wanted to review the information on kernel 2.6.8 for Sarge. I
>> > downloaded a huge info file (kernel-doc-2.6.8) successfully. It
>> > unpacked to:     /usr/share/doc/      and joined many other doc files
>> > there.

Hi Dave,

as for #2, that's all subjective.  Most time you wont really need any of
the suggested or recommended packages, they might make your life easier
though.

In /etc/apache2/ports , you should see a line that says Listen 80 , change
that to Listen 127.0.0.1:80 , then /etc/init.d/apache2 restart, and then
your apache install will only be listening on the loop-back device. Then
you should be able to point your browser to http://127.0.0.1/dwww .

also there are quite a few sites otu there that you can go to that will
do port scan on your host and show you what is open to the world.
http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/
http://www.grc.com/ (down to shields up)

hth,
Jeff

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.

Jeff, thanks for the additional comments. I don't seem to have a file
/etc/apache2/ports. As root, apache -v reports v1.3.33; I guess that
explains it. The links that you sent were very informative, and showed
that all the ports were secure. This system is behind a router, maybe
that helps.

Doug, in retrospect your suggestion has a lot going for it. I use mc
extensively and can't imagine life without it (reminds me of the du
utility in CPM3!). What was confusing initially was that installing
the doc file (Kernel-doc-2.6.8) threw files in several directories
(and many of them as well!). It didn't give a single clue where it was
placing the files during the install - shouldn't a polite installer to
do that? In searching for the files using the Gnome file finder, I
found a treasure trove of additional doc files that I wasn't aware of.
That triggered the query about an organized doc system. The utility
dwww serves nicely to serve up these doc files, although the overhead
is, admittedly high.

Thanks again
Dave W.