Re: Document reader?

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Dave Walker wrote:

On 4/10/07, Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Dave Walker wrote:

> In anticipation of distribution upgrading from Sarge (kernel 2.4) to
> Etch, I wanted to review the information on kernel 2.6.8 for Sarge. I
> downloaded a huge info file (kernel-doc-2.6.8) successfully. It
> unpacked to:     /usr/share/doc/      and joined many other doc files
> there.
>
> But....I found, to my chagrin, in my ignorance that I couldn't read
> the files in any organized way. Is there a file reader for the doc
> files? I run Gnome 2.8.3, if that is relevant.
>
> Thanks, all
> Dave W.

check out the dwww package, it lets read the doc/man pages with a web
browser ..

Thanks for the recommendation Jeff D, about dwww. I did ....
  apt-cache search dwww                  and found the package, that
I downloaded with
  apt-get install dwww

The download lead to additional downloads - producing a virtual
cascade of associated files (occupying 10's of megabytes). That left
me with 3 questions.

1.) How to get dwww to run?? In case anybody else wants to try dwww,
follow along. I searched among the doc files   usr/share/doc/   with a
file browser, but saw nothing helpful. In desperation, in a command
window, I looked at the output of
....   man dwww.
The short manual showed the option to run dwww in a command window,
just like any other command, or to run it as a browser URL
(http://localhost/dwww/index.html).
The answer to question 1 reinforces the idea that ....  man (package
name) is your friend!

2.) During the copious download binge launched by installing dwww, I
had to wonder which of the associated packages were really important.
I installed all of the "Suggested" packages, and all of the
"Recommended" for dwww. However, the associated packages also had
"Suggested" and "Recommended" downloads. How does anyone know when to
stop in this process? I finally decided arbitrarily to quit installing
more packages.

3.) The installation of apache appears to be involved in the process.
I have no idea to how to properly configure apache for any purpose,
and simply selected the defaults when presented. Have I compromised
the security of my system?  Can I test the system security in a simple
way?

Thanks, all
Dave W.

Hi Dave,

as for #2, that's all subjective. Most time you wont really need any of the suggested or recommended packages, they might make your life easier though.

In /etc/apache2/ports , you should see a line that says Listen 80 , change that to Listen 127.0.0.1:80 , then /etc/init.d/apache2 restart, and then your apache install will only be listening on the loop-back device. Then you should be able to point your browser to http://127.0.0.1/dwww .

also there are quite a few sites otu there that you can go to that will do port scan on your host and show you what is open to the world.
http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/
http://www.grc.com/ (down to shields up)

hth,
Jeff

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.