Re: preferred mail setup to let users decide on using spamassassin or not

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 09:35:57AM +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Following a thread here about fetchmail/getmail, is started playing
> with getmail.
>
> My current setup is as follows: fetchmail gets the mail for multiple
> users and delivers to exim4. Exim then passes the message on to clamav
> and spamassassin and the message then goes to exim again.
>
> Last, maildrop gets the message from exim and the messages are
> distributed to the Maildir of the user.

[...]
> Now i can see a number of scenario's and i was wondering what scenario
> is best if you the users to be able to customize their spamassassin
> settings and maybe set for themselves if they want to check for spam or
> not (i would always want to scan for viruses).
> maildrop is used in this setup to put the messages in various
> directories inside Maildir.
>
> 1. fetchmail/getmail -> spamassassin -> clamav -> maildrop
>
> 2. fetchmail/getmail -> exim 4 -> spamassassin -> clamav -> exim 4 ->
> maildrop

this is what I use (procmail not maildrop). I'm not sure why I like
it, but I do. Of course, it keeps most of the control in my world and not my
users and I like that.

> 3. fetchmail/getmail -> maildrop -> spamassassin -> clamav
>
> 4. fetchmail/getmail -> exim4 -> maildrop -> spamassassin -> clamav
>
> There are of course lot's more options.
> Option 2 is easy in a way that spamassassin and clamav are called from 1
> place.
> Option 1 and 3 look like the best options if you want users to be able
> to customize their settings.
> 1 and 3 boil down to either having getmail call spamassassin and clamav
> or having maildrop do it.
>
> Are options 1 & 3 indeed better if you want the user to have a say in
> what happens?

yup. although for end-user control, i'd probably stick with something
like 3 or 4. Set up some default controls for maildrop and then let
the user customise as they like. I'd rather not let the user control
fetch/getmail, but that's just me.

You might, depending on volume, use something like a combination of 2
and 3/4. Setup fairly loose site-wide spam and av controls and then
show the users how to tighten it up with maildrop recipes if they
want. That would somewhat minimise the noise getting to the users and
then allow then to control how much more they want.

my .02