Re: Netgear WPN311 Wireless G problems

Andrew J. Barr(andrew.james.barr@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 11:37:03 -0400, Grok Mogger wrote:
> >

> Also worth noting is that in the past NetworkManager had problems with
> madwifi because of it's unique behavior when scanning. I do not know if
> a) this has been fixed, or b) if the driver you are using includes the
> fix, if any.
>
> Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of madwifi for reasons beyond (but
> including) the licensing of the HAL. I tried to run a Madwifi-based AP
> for a few months about 18 months ago and had nothing but terrible
> results (hard lockups, and when it did work performance was awful). I
> may revisit this when/if an open HAL becomes usable for my hardware, but
> wasting time with seldom-revised closed code that only a select few
> people can fix isn't a way I choose to spend my time. If I want that, I
> could purchase a $10 router and usually end up with better results.

I have had no problems with Madwifi.  I set up an AP on an old
233Mhz Thinkpad 770 3 months ago, to get my feet wet with wireless. It
serves up a modem connection to 5 other computers, 2 of which are also
running madwifi.

The licensing is minor to me. Mainly because the madwifi drivers give
Linux users more choices as to which card they can use and how it can
be used.  I checked out a lot of different solutions before settling
on Madwifi/Atheros and have not been disappointed.

I believe that the new drivers, introduced mid 2006, are much better
then the madwifi-ng drivers that were available when you last tried
madwifi.

The best resource I found for selecting a card was the Compatibility
list at <http://madwifi.orf/wiki/UserDocs>.  That sites Documentation
far outweighed anything I found for any of the other Linux drivers for
other chipsets.

Just my 0.02c

Wayne

--
Computers are a more fun way to do the same work you'd have to do
without them.