RE: etch upgrade problem

Andrei Popescu <mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote on Tuesday, April
10, 2007 10:35 AM -0500:

> "Seth Goodman" <sethg@goodmanassociates.com> wrote:
>
> > In another thread, someone suggested "dpkg-reconfigure udev" for
> > other hardware detection problems, so I tried it.  That refuses to
> > run because it wants a more recent kernel.
>
> Missed this the first time. What kernel are you running and what
> version of udev? If you are still running the sarge kernel then you
> should upgrade (but read the release notes first).

It's the Sarge kernel, 2.6.8.3-686, specifically 2.6.8-16sarge6.  I can
understand that some people may wish to upgrade to etch without
replacing their kernel, but I'm surprised that synaptic didn't recommend
this as part of the normal upgrade.  OTOH, it's possible that it did,
but kernel replacement failed as a consequence of my killing the
screensaver process that was blocking completion of the upgrade.

If so, the primary failure in all of this, in addition to my failing to
read the release notes first, may be something in the Xorg transition
that resulted in the screensaver no longer accepting the password.
Since others have reported successful upgrades to etch with X running,
that may be the   key.  I'm pretty sure that everything on this system
was from Sarge repositories.

--
Seth Goodman