Re: Wireless G WPA2 PCI Card Suggestion Please

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 15:45:55 +0100
Hans du Plooy <koffiejunkielistlurker@koffiejunkie.za.net> wrote:

> > > I've used it too, with the AirForce One 4318 in my Acer laptop, but I
> > > can't get it to do WEP, and it seems to cause some system instablity.
> > > In the archives of this list (and those of debian-laptop) you'll find
> > > that others (e.g Freddy Freeloader) have had even more difficulty with
> > > it, so at the very least YMMV with bcm43xx.
> >
> > FWIW, I am using it just fine with WPA-Enteprise. It seems to like
> > disconnecting every 90 minutes or so, but this kernel is a touch out of
> > date (2.6.18-4-powerpc). It's not a huge deal however, because
> > NetworkManager usually reconnects it right away.
>
> Be careful, there are several revisions/sub-models of this chip, and
> they don't all work equally well with the bcm43xx driver.  The one in my
> notebook, for example works, but performs poorly, struggles to connect
> to any access point, and has very poor range.
>
> Something with an Atheros chip is probably a safer bet.  They require
> you to download and install the driver, but they're far more certain to
> work well.

Agreed, and note that installing the drivers (Madwifi) can be as simple
as 'aptitude install madwifi-modules-xxx', or 'aptitude install
madwifi-source' and 'm-a prepare', 'm-a a-i madwifi' if you have a
custom kernel.

Celejar