Re: Wireless G WPA2 PCI Card Suggestion Please

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 10:06 -0400, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> >> I am suitably impressed with the bcm43xx driver--I've been using it with
> >> the Airport Extreme card in my PowerBook G4.
> >
> > I've used it too, with the AirForce One 4318 in my Acer laptop, but I
> > can't get it to do WEP, and it seems to cause some system instablity.
> > In the archives of this list (and those of debian-laptop) you'll find
> > that others (e.g Freddy Freeloader) have had even more difficulty with
> > it, so at the very least YMMV with bcm43xx.
>
> FWIW, I am using it just fine with WPA-Enteprise. It seems to like
> disconnecting every 90 minutes or so, but this kernel is a touch out of
> date (2.6.18-4-powerpc). It's not a huge deal however, because
> NetworkManager usually reconnects it right away.

Be careful, there are several revisions/sub-models of this chip, and
they don't all work equally well with the bcm43xx driver.  The one in my
notebook, for example works, but performs poorly, struggles to connect
to any access point, and has very poor range.

Something with an Atheros chip is probably a safer bet.  They require
you to download and install the driver, but they're far more certain to
work well.

Hans