Re: Beautifying Debian Etch

On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 04:53:16AM EDT, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:14:35 -0400 (EDT) eklektik wrote:
> >    For me the problem is that etch default look and feel is totally
> > out of date. Even those who doesn't have artistic training can sense
> > that the artworks are amateurish. When I showed the artworks to my
> > graphic designer friends they were horrified.
> >
> >    But here is a question; why did you choose Rodent as a default
> > when there are so many awesome icons are available on the gnome look
> > site?
>
>    It is not my intention to say something unfriendly, but I must say
> that I still strongly prefer the original design.
>
>    Displaying a home directory with a picture of a house, depicting
> the 'settings' with a spanner? Children will like it, but as an adult
> I feel insulted.

I agree 100%.

And it's not just that I feel insulted .. The confusion between complex
abstractions such as home or settings .. and cartoon-style renderings
of fragments of reality .. houses .. spanners .. doesn't strike me as a
very effective way to encourage creativity and nurture intelligence in
children and adults alike.

Thanks,
cga