Re: Beautifying Debian Etch

Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> But here is a question; why did you choose Rodent as a default when there
> are so many awesome icons are available on the gnome look site?

Many of us couldn't care less about "awesome".  I care no more about how
"pretty" my computer screen is than I do about how "pretty" my air
compressor is.

cga2000 writes:
> The confusion between complex abstractions such as home or settings
> .. and cartoon-style renderings of fragments of reality .. houses
> .. spanners .. doesn't strike me as a very effective way to encourage
> creativity and nurture intelligence in children and adults alike.

They also don't work very well.  Even when they are rendered with
sufficient detail to be recognizable the association between the chosen
rebuses and what they are supposed to symbolize is often opaque, and very
often the rebus is so tiny and lacking in detail as to be unrecognizable as
anything but an arbitrary symbol.  For that we already have a system:
words.
--
John Hasler