Re: KDE system tray - erratic behaviour

Florian Kulzer wrote, in part:

The system tray should simply keep its icons from session to session,
i.e. if you have some icons in the system tray when you log out they
should appear again when you log in the next time.

For me they did not.

The only problem I have with some of the icons in the system tray is
that they sometimes do not come up due to, I suppose, some sort of race
condition at the start of KDE. That can be fixed by killing the
corresponding application and staring it again, e.g.
pkill korn; korn

I don't really want to waste my time fixing a problem which should not have happened in the first place. Florian did mention that the current way the system tray works is confusing -- too confusing for a novice like me.

The situation is not helped by the absence of documentation on the subject, which of course is the Achilles heal of Linux. If Linux is ever to gain market share, the lack of documentation has to be addressed.

(I have this problem only very rarely now with KDE 3.5.6; it was worse
 with earlier versions, especially 3.5.5. You can use a short script in
 ~/.kde/Autostart to automate the kill/restart workaround for the
 problematic applications.)

I am still with 3.5.5, which is the version shipped with Etch, and at this late date in the Etch release cycle will not probably not be upgraded. So I have four choices: live with 3.5.5; install 3.5.6 directly from KDE, thereby bypassing the Debian packaging system; installing it from a Debian backport if such will exist after Etch becomes stable; or wait until the next Debian stable release, when KDE will probably be up to 4.?.?, or even 5.?.?.

Anyway, thanks to Florian for his insight.

				Ken Heard