Re: Newbie Question - KDE-Gnome-xfce

On Thursday 05 April 2007 06:22, Michael M. wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 20:19 -0400, Javier Enrique Tiá Marín wrote:
> > Why Gnome is the Default Desktop for Distributions like Ubuntu/Debian,
> > RedHat/CentOS/Fedora and OpenSuse?
>
> Because Gnome is superior, of course.  :-)

As stated previously I am a newbie in the Linux world, but one that seen
enough to know that there is no going back now! So currently I don't really
have a loyalty to any of the higher level window systems. I would be
interested in knowing from your experience why you feel that Gnome is
superior to KDE. I guess what I am looking for deals more with the
functionality than anything else and not speed. So far going from Windoze to
Linux/KDE is like going from dialup to wireless!

One example of what I mean. One of my part time jobs is hosting and setting up
websites and web apps (ASP/PHP). I cannot work without a password vault of
some kind because I have way more login information than I could ever
remember. While setting up a Kmail account I was blown away when it ask me if
I wanted to store the password in Kwalet! I think in the back of my mind I
thought I was going to have to give up some functionality for free software
in moving to Linux. Was I ever so wrong!

From my point of view the real speed of an OS/Windowing system is not just in
how fast it will pop a window on the screen, although important, but also in
how does it, with the functionality it contains, speed you along with the
work that you have to do? So, do you think Gnome is functionally better and
KDE and why?

Thanks,
Randy