Re: Newbie Question - KDE-Gnome-xfce

On Sunday 08 April 2007 03:06, Michael M. wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 16:47 -0500, Randy Patterson wrote:
> > Thanks for taking to time to post all that information. I have installed
> > Gnome, just haven't figured out how to get it going yet! After reading
> > your post one of the things that I think I need to do first is read some
> > good articles/overviews of the WMs that are out there and how they work.
> > I have a backlog of reading to do but will do some googling to read up on
> > this.
>
> As your Google search will probably indicate, [1] Matt Chapman's site is
> one of the most popular overviews of desktop environments and window
> managers around.  It's a good place to start.  Be warned that a lot of
> the links are outdated.

Thanks so much Michael for the good information. You are perfectly correct
about the outdated information. This has big one of my biggest huddles as a
newbie to try to find information that is current. When I first started
reading I didn't know the difference between Potato, Woody, Sarge or Etch.
There's a lot of information still out there written for pre-Sarge Debian. I
read the complete Debian Tutorial before I found out that it was obsoleted.
Wasn't a total loss because much of it still applied but I would have rather
spend that time reading something more recent. I read most of the information
at the Chapman site you listed and the section on KDE seems to be out of date
as well because my system isn't setup the way he describe it. Most of my
reading now only centers on http://www.debian.org/doc/.

I am impressed with the debian-user list almost as much as I am with Debian
Linux. This list has been and is an invaluable resource. My hat is off to all
the people here that probably could do something a lot more profitable with
their time but choose to spend some of it here helping others.

Thanks,
Randy