Re: Get Dell D810 to See Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG -- Etch

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:01:26AM EDT, Bruffey, Mark wrote:
>    OK, now the card is seen by iwconfig. Had to install the firmware as
>    instructed, thanks.
>
>    Not able to connect to WAP, however, so need a couple of pointers there.
>    This system is set to connect by wire to my work LAN, so I think I need a
>    separate config file for when I am at home.
>
>    Home:
>
>    Network name: lmark_wlan
>    Band: 802.11g
>    Op. Mode: Network (Infrastructure)
>    Authentication Level: Open*
>    Data Encryption: None
>
>    *WAP denies all MAC addresses except those I permit manually. I'm assuming
>    this is not an issue since I connect to this WAP with this laptop under M$
>    Window$ all the time.
>
>    The WAP is configured as DHCP server. I'm assuming once the two start
>    talking the rest will happen automatically?
>

>    Oh: One asked why I'm interested in staying at the command line. Two
>    reasons. First, I'm running Apache2 on a new Debian Sarge server
>    installation at work to serve an open source library program (KOHA) I'm
>    testing. I didn't install any X with that to save overhead. I want to
>    install a similar system on my laptop so I can play around with it off the
>    production server. I'm on etch on the laptop since it seemed the 2.6.18
>    kernel has better wireless-support out of the box. Second, I feel that I
>    will understand more of the workings of Debian/Linux by staying at the
>    command line. Why install and try to maintain a system you really don't
>    understand? No, I will never understand it like many of you, but I can at
>    least try to increase my understanding a little. We're a small shop here,
>    so I have to try to delve in as much as possible rather than being able to
>    outsource or draw on existing staff resources. I guess that about sums it
>    up.

Not to mention a third point .. if you stick to it for any length of
time you'll become considerably more efficient .. and will feel a lot
less tired at the end of the day than the point & click crowd.

One of the things that made me switch to a keyboard-only setup a couple
of years ago was that I used GUIs for longer than I would like to admit
and became frustrated because I was not getting any better.

Also, please note that not using X doesn't mean you have to limit
yourself to the "command line".  There is a wealth of screen-mode
applications available that are considerably more powerful and
ergonomically more satisfying than any MacWindows derivatives that I
have used.

Yes, you do have to put in some time and effort before you take off ..
but after that you will fly.

Thanks,
cga