RE: Get Dell D810 to See Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG -- Etch

OK, now the card is seen by iwconfig. Had to install the firmware as instructed, thanks.

Not able to connect to WAP, however, so need a couple of pointers there. This system is set to connect by wire to my work LAN, so I think I need a separate config file for when I am at home.

Home:

Network name: lmark_wlan
Band: 802.11g
Op. Mode: Network (Infrastructure)
Authentication Level: Open*
Data Encryption: None

*WAP denies all MAC addresses except those I permit manually. I'm assuming this is not an issue since I connect to this WAP with this laptop under M$ Window$ all the time.

The WAP is configured as DHCP server. I'm assuming once the two start talking the rest will happen automatically?

Oh: One asked why I'm interested in staying at the command line. Two reasons. First, I'm running Apache2 on a new Debian Sarge server installation at work to serve an open source library program (KOHA) I'm testing. I didn't install any X with that to save overhead. I want to install a similar system on my laptop so I can play around with it off the production server. I'm on etch on the laptop since it seemed the 2.6.18 kernel has better wireless-support out of the box. Second, I feel that I will understand more of the workings of Debian/Linux by staying at the command line. Why install and try to maintain a system you really don't understand? No, I will never understand it like many of you, but I can at least try to increase my understanding a little. We're a small shop here, so I have to try to delve in as much as possible rather than being able to outsource or draw on existing staff resources. I guess that about sums it up.

Thanks,

Mark