Re: GPL v3?

Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 17:45 +0200, Joe Hart wrote:
>> Greg,
>>
>> I am very interested in the GPLv3.
>>
>> This tirade of yours, I would like to hear so if you'd like to voice
>> your opinion, I'm asking.  If you think it's not appropriate here, then
>> send it to me off list please.
>
> debian-legal@lists.debian.org is the proper venue.
>
> Sorry, I just gave a summary just short of this to Curt Howland.
>
> Here it is the summary.
>
> ---included message in response to Curt Howland:
>
> So, let me ask you, when you drive the speed limit, you are skirting the
> law. Or if in a 55MPH speed limit area and you drive 55MPH... exactly,
> are you are skirting the law (and therefore staying within the limits of
> the law) or are you breaking the spirit of the law and should be
> punished extremely?

Skirting the law, no.  Obeying the law, yes.  Otherwise they would post
a lower speed limit.

> Here in, lies my problems with the "GPLv2 isn't good enough" and the
> "GPLv3 must impose additional restrictions" camps. This will cause harm
> to something that has for so long, been a guiding light to the FOSS
> community/movement.
>
> Why move the lighthouse further out into the sea at such a cost, when it
> already is just fine where it is.

Well, it appears that it isn't.  It seems that companies have found
loopholes to create proprietary software using GPL code.  I don't know
if anyone has actually taken any of these companies to court and
challenged them on the issue, but in the meantime it seems the best
thing to do is to close the loopholes.

I can agree with you that v3 as it is now is not exactly the best thing,
but it is still a draft and subject to change.  It is getting closer.
There is reason to move the lighthouse if the level of the sea changes.

> And Please understand this is the "summary" version. By no means is it
> my complete version. debian-legal is the place for this.
>
> ---End included message
>
> So, as you can see, I actually am seeing things in a practical rather
> than theoretical light in regards to the GPL update.

- --