Re: GPL v3?

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 17:45 +0200, Joe Hart wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I am very interested in the GPLv3.
>
> This tirade of yours, I would like to hear so if you'd like to voice
> your opinion, I'm asking.  If you think it's not appropriate here, then
> send it to me off list please.

debian-legal@lists.debian.org is the proper venue.

Sorry, I just gave a summary just short of this to Curt Howland.

Here it is the summary.

---included message in response to Curt Howland:

So, let me ask you, when you drive the speed limit, you are skirting the
law. Or if in a 55MPH speed limit area and you drive 55MPH... exactly,
are you are skirting the law (and therefore staying within the limits of
the law) or are you breaking the spirit of the law and should be
punished extremely?

Here in, lies my problems with the "GPLv2 isn't good enough" and the
"GPLv3 must impose additional restrictions" camps. This will cause harm
to something that has for so long, been a guiding light to the FOSS
community/movement.

Why move the lighthouse further out into the sea at such a cost, when it
already is just fine where it is.

And Please understand this is the "summary" version. By no means is it
my complete version. debian-legal is the place for this.

---End included message

So, as you can see, I actually am seeing things in a practical rather
than theoretical light in regards to the GPL update.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup