Re: GPL v3?

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 22:34 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> I wrote:
> > It's appalling, but there is nothing to be done.
>
> Doug writes:
> > Would you elaborate?  It left me concerned but I'm not a language lawyer
> > so I don't really understand.
>
> You've put your finger on a major defect.
>
> > If you're appalled, presumably you 'get it'.
>
> This is not the right forum for me to express my opinions as to what is
> wrong with GPLV3.  It is being discussed extensively and knowledgeably on
> Groklaw.  While most there are supporters, they are discussing it
> reasonably objectively.  As to why I say nothing can be done, what I see as
> major defects are inevitable consequences of what Richard clearly views as
> essential features.

Even PJ doesn't get it. All she sees is the Glorious GPL getting an
update. Not that it is all bad, just that much of the "additional" stuff
is... appalling.

The GPLv2 is very good and has enough language in it already, but some
feel the asterix and tivo stuff seriously violate the spirit.

Nah, they just skirt along the line. Which is fine.

About all I can say without going into a long and very OT response
(tirade as some would call it).

And since many people are complaining about OT stuff already. I'll stop.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup