Re: how to read debian-user as newsgroup using Evolution

michael wrote:
> I'm trying to read d-u as a newsgroup using Evolution (details below)
> but can't get it to work... anybody else succeeded?
>
> Thanks, Michael
>
> Subject: Re: [ML ISSUE] reply-to field ?
> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:27:40 +0100
> On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 15:46 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On 04/01/07 14:01, nicolas.flinois@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Seth,
>>>
>>> I think you really understood my intentions. And still agree with all
>>> of your 6 points. As a personal view, I have the skills to set up a
>>> good MUA but this ML makes trouble for my day-to-day usage since I am
>>> using several machines, and I am neither root on all of them nor
>>> authorized to use bandwidth, ports and protocols the way I want. So,
>>> instead of being considered as a flammer by the whole readers, I just
>>> tried to point out the limits of this ML. Considering it as a
>>> community tools, with high usability for experienced as well as
>>> newbies, and not just as a personal problem. Nothing more.
>> In the case of needing access from multiple systems, you should use
>> the usenet gateway and a newsreader.
>> nntp://linux.debian.user
>>  or
>> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user
>> nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user
>>

> I've been wondering for a while whether I can 'evolution'
>  ii  evolution      2.0.4-2sarge1  The groupware suite
> to read this mailing list (emails) more as a newsgroup to, eg, allow me
> to 'kill' a thread (rather than having to manually delete each email)...
> I tried setting up a new account and choosing "USEnet news" as the
> server type with each of the above as the configuration host but it just
> timed out or gave other errors (IIRC, it couldn't find/determine the
> domain).
>
> Anybody got Evolution to read this ML as a newsgroup?
>
> Michael
> PS: apols if I\ve got any terminology wrong

When using a client to read news, you don't delete messages.  You grab
headers, and then select the message(s) you want to download.  The
messages stay on the server, you just download a copy.

Most clients that are also e-mail clients download the headers and treat
them like they are messages in an inbox, then when you click on a
message, they download the message associated with the header you click on.

IceDove does this, I don't specifically know about Evolution.  In any
event, you need to define a newsserver in your client. Otherwise you'll
have to use a web portal instead.

Joe

- --