Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 08:26:21AM EDT, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 11:35:53PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 09:11:21PM EST, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
>
> > > When you say "have a nice day", do you pronounce the 'y' at all?  Is it
> > > Daaaa, or Daaaai?  Dipthongs are there for a reason; they differentiate
> > > words when spoken verbally (try listening to someone from New York
> > > speak, no dipthongs).  I say Daaaimon.
> >
> > Not true.  Try the lawn-guy-land accent for instance .. has the ugliest
> > and most exaggerated diphthongs of any English dialect I have heard.
>
> Who's the lawn-guy?

It's a what .. not a who.

Long Island, State of New York.

About 20 miles East of the city.

> I wasn't suggesting to exaggerate the dipthong but to use it.
> I don't say daaayamon.

I guess you were referring to a New York City accent like in the old
gangster movies?  Like Jimmy Cagney, maybe?

But then in Brooklyn only a mile away from the lower East Side, the
folks there typically replace the long /e/ vowel in "bird" by a
diphthong that sounds something like a mix between an /oi/ (as in "boy")
and an /uh-i/ (as in "like" in some Canadian accents)

> I don't have a dictionary that gives the history of a word with me.

of course you do:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/demon

Has the etymology .. and the recorded pronunciation ..

click on the little red speakers.

> What is the origin of the 'ae' in daemon?  It was origionally from greek
> mythology but I neither read nor speak ancient greek.
> Doug.

No idea ..

A possibility is there that may have been a collision at some point
between "demon" which came from the germanic side of the family and
"daemon" that came from the "latin" side.. ??  The etymological notes
vaguely suggest that.

Anyway, according to Mrs. Merriam-Webster's rendering both are
pronounced the same.

Thanks,
cga