Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 01:38:06AM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 04:18:33PM -0700, Dusty Wilson wrote:

Canadian (7th generation, North Atlantic [St. Mary's, West Irish,
Highland Scott] descent) southern Ontario dialect follows.

> > daemon = demon, day-mon, or ? [Dee-mon - The Concise OED has it as a
> variant of demon. Pandaemonium is strictly pan-day-monium but I don't
> know many people who don't elide it as pan-demo-knee-um (and therefore
> missspell it as pandemonium)]

When you say "have a nice day", do you pronounce the 'y' at all?  Is it
Daaaa, or Daaaai?  Dipthongs are there for a reason; they differentiate
words when spoken verbally (try listening to someone from New York
speak, no dipthongs).  I say Daaaimon.

> > irc = i-r-c, irk, or ? [Eye - Arse - Sea with the last two run
> together]

Interesting imagery :)

Doug.