Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 04:18:33PM -0700, Dusty Wilson wrote:
> In an effort to not sound like a newbie when speaking verbally about
> Linux-related terms, I would like to know how to properly pronounce
> these words.  I've been training a co-worker on server management and
> have run into quite a few terms for which I didn't quite know the
> proper pronunciation.

British English follows - some of this may also be uneducated and is to
be taken with a requisite number of :) and a light tone. I've also run
into the usual phonological/morphological problems of how to represent
English phonetically. I'm happily open to correction from those who
know :)

> Also I think I know the correct way to say some of these but I really
> want to make sure, so I'll put those in the list too.
>
> named = name-dee

[Is correct as far as I know - name daemon - but
it's from the same stable as BIND (which see). ]

> pxe = pixie [Fine by me]

> Debian = deb-ee-inn [Deb-ee-un - think Deb (as in debutante) and
the last part of onion]

> bind = bind, bin-dee, or ? [Going by how to pronounce the excellent
O'Reilly book DNS and BIND, I'd always say bined like pined and not
Bindi]

> lilo = lie-lo, lill-lo, lee-lo, or ?

[Lie low (if you're English speaking) Lee low if you're Spanish /
Italian]

> SQL = ess-cue-ell or sequel [Either's fine, though I personally
prefer ess-cue-ell since that's also consistent with MySQL. Sequel
seems to be a Microsoft preferred term]

> MySQL = My-ess-cue-ell (according to an old FAQ on MySQL's site)
[I'd agree, though I've a colleague who says My-sequel]

> PostgreSQL = post-gress-cue-ell or ?
[Post-grace-cue-ell OR post-grr-rescue-ell both seem right]

> FAQ = eff-ay-cue or fak [It's a Fack - since I've only ever said it.
Though I suppose you'd say "I read it in an Eff Eh Queue somewhere"
just as easily :) "Pronunciation of FAQ" into www.google.com yields
a very interesting thread from 1994 about this - it was obviously a
religious wars issue right from the start :( ]

> etc = et-see
> usr = user
> lib = lib or lieb (short vs long i)
[Lib as in liberal not "libe" as in librarian or "leeb" as in liebchen]

> proc = prock
> init = inn-it

> daemon = demon, day-mon, or ? [Dee-mon - The Concise OED has it as a
variant of demon. Pandaemonium is strictly pan-day-monium but I don't
know many people who don't elide it as pan-demo-knee-um (and therefore
missspell it as pandemonium)]

> kde = kay-dee-ee

> gnu = new, guh-new, or ? [Guh-noo - which is probably the same
way I'd pronounce the animal. (Though this separated pronunciation
was apparently only popularised in the 1950's in a very popular
humourous song in British English by Flanders and Swann
"I'm a G-nu, how do you do, the G-nicest work of G-nature in the zoo"
 - and the Concise OED still calls it a noo :) ]

> gnome = nome, guh-nome, or ?

[I say Nome, but have read somewhere thatit's pronounced Guh-nome
by the project on purpose to be different/difficult :) ]

> vi = vee-aye or vye [Vie if I'm talking, vee-eye if I'm being correct]

> passwd = [pass would (Where pass has a very short northern English
A sound and rhymes with lass and would is like a very short could)]

> irc = i-r-c, irk, or ? [Eye - Arse - Sea with the last two run
together]

> Thanks for your help!  (...and I hope I don't inadvertently start a battle.
> :-)
> Dusty

Andy