Re: Motherboard recommendations

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 12:01:12PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/30/07 22:44, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 10:09:23AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> >> I just built a system with an ASUS M2N2-SLI motherboard and an AMD64
> >> cpu.  It looks very good so far.  I have Etch running from a netinst.

> > You won't be needing it.  I use straight debian packages for everything.
> > Stock kernel but I do use the nvidia video drivers for X:  much better
> > deinterlacing and resizing of DVDs.  E.g. screen is 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz,
> > watch The Sound of Music in VLC, full-screen, deinterlace-blend.  Far
> > better fine detail (e.g. edge of a candle frame, wrinkles on the faces,
> > facial expression) with the nvidia driver than the nv.  Less load on the
> > CPU too.
>
> What video card do you use?

Asus EN7300GT Silent (nVidia GeForce 7300 GT), 245 MB video ram.
Fanless.  In my case (CM-Stacker with cross-flow fan), the GPU stays at
35 C even without a fan on the video card.  To clarify on the nvidia
driver: its the standard nvidia-kernel package, I don't roll my own with
module-assistant or anything.

> > Note to the OP.  You want to use a few IDE devices.  This board only has
>
> Am I misunderstanding?  Why should he use multiple IDE devices if
> the mobo only has one IDE port?

The OP gave a list of hardware that he wanted to be able to use with the
new MB, among which were IDE hard drives in addition to the CD/DVD.  I
suppose that he could get this MB and find a cheap PCI IDE card rather
than buy new drives.

> > one IDE port (hda and hdb).  It has lots of SATA and an eSATA, lots of
> > USB, firewire, great sound, and it will manage the case fans.

Doug.