Re: Motherboard recommendations

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 19:34 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> This past week my motherboard died.  Again.  In fact, for the third
> time in three years.  All were BioStar M7NCD Pro or Ultra boards.  I
> think it is time for a change (especially since apparently only one
> place in the world has any and those are open box with only a 15-day
> warranty).
>
> So, I am looking for recommondations on a new motherboard (and processor
> and memory, while we're at it).  I have searched the list archives, but
> the most recent threads discussing different motherboards were from
> 2004.
>
> I am planning on running either 32-bit or 64-bit (doesn't make that much
> difference to me).  I'd like to start with 2 GB RAM (maybe going to 4 GB
> later on), so 64-bit might be better.  The hard drives currently have
> Sarge installed.  However, I think that I may have lost some data in the
> failure and will likely do a clean install of Etch.  The components
> which I currently have that I'd like to carry over are:
>
>  - AGP nVidia GeForce 5900 (unless there's good dual-head onboard video)
>  - 3Com PCI NIC (for dual-homed network, unless dual-LAN is available)
>  - 2 x IDE HDDs
>  - 1 x IDE DVD-ROM & 1 x IDE DVD+-RW
>
> The other parts (Athlon XP CPU and 184-pin DDR memory), I imagine are
> a loss.  I was actually hoping to get another M7NCD Ultra (as I have the
> other times it has failed) so that I could reuse everything.  At this
> point, I'll go for a new board.
>
> The case I have is an Antec with a 300W power supply, but I can upgrade
> the case and/or power supply if necessary.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

Another addition to Hugo's list would be the Gigabyte board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128014

Its bigger brother got a very good review on Tom's hardware as well,
FWIW.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128011

I'm thinking about the 1st (the M57SLI).

Can't address the power reqs.  yet.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,