Re: Motherboard recommendations

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 10:09:23AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I just built a system with an ASUS M2N2-SLI motherboard and an AMD64
> cpu.  It looks very good so far.  I have Etch running from a netinst.
>
> The ASUS installation CD contains a directory for Linux giving links to
> several websites to setup audio and 64 bit operation.  I haven't checked
> these out yet but find it encouraging that a Linux directory is included
> on the CD.

You won't be needing it.  I use straight debian packages for everything.
Stock kernel but I do use the nvidia video drivers for X:  much better
deinterlacing and resizing of DVDs.  E.g. screen is 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz,
watch The Sound of Music in VLC, full-screen, deinterlace-blend.  Far
better fine detail (e.g. edge of a candle frame, wrinkles on the faces,
facial expression) with the nvidia driver than the nv.  Less load on the
CPU too.

Sound is stock alsa with the usual alsa-config and alsa-mixer.  Of
course, with Etch amd64, there is nothing to 'set up' about 64-bit
operation.

This is on my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe MB, Athlon 3800+ single core, single 1
GB DDR2 800 ram, dual Seagate SATA 80 GB drives.

Note to the OP.  You want to use a few IDE devices.  This board only has
one IDE port (hda and hdb).  It has lots of SATA and an eSATA, lots of
USB, firewire, great sound, and it will manage the case fans.

Doug.