Re: bind9 prevents external access

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Justin Hartman wrote:

Hi guys

Very strange problem which I'm sure is pretty easy to fix - if you
know how. I installed bind9 with lsb-base on a Debian Etch system. The
problem is that as soon as bind9 is installed I can no longer ping or
access external sites from the bind9 server.

For example I can't ping google.com or run apt-get commands because it
simply timesout. As soon as bind9 is "turned off" I regain full access
to run software updates on the server etc.

Somewhere, somehow bind9 is blocking access and it's driving me mad -
any help appreciated.
--
Regards
Justin Hartman

Do you have resolveconf installed? It will swtich out your /etc/resov.conf file when you start up bind, take note of what is in there beofre and after you start up bind, maybe someting in there is messing things up. but that shouldnt stop you from looking up dns. bind9 out of the box on etch should resolve names fine. have you made changes to any of the files in /etc/bind? if so, what where they?

 ---
Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.