bind9 prevents external access

Hi guys

Very strange problem which I'm sure is pretty easy to fix - if you
know how. I installed bind9 with lsb-base on a Debian Etch system. The
problem is that as soon as bind9 is installed I can no longer ping or
access external sites from the bind9 server.

For example I can't ping google.com or run apt-get commands because it
simply timesout. As soon as bind9 is "turned off" I regain full access
to run software updates on the server etc.

Somewhere, somehow bind9 is blocking access and it's driving me mad -
any help appreciated.
--
Regards
Justin Hartman