Re: bind9 prevents external access

Soma thanks for your input - by removing bind and playing with
resolv.conf it is apparent that this file was causing certain issues.

I have now installed resolvconf and after rebooting resolvconf
configured only one line in resolv.conf file as follows:

nameserver: 127.0.0.1

Prior to installing resolvconf I had the following setup:

nameserver 213.133.98.97
nameserver 213.133.98.98
nameserver 213.133.98.96

Unfortunately I still have the same problems though even with
resolvconf installed.

Regards
Justin

On 3/21/07, Soma R <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:
On 3/21/07, Justin Hartman <jjhartman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Oliver Jato <oliver.jato@gmx.de> wrote:
> > sorry, i forgot that you'll have to add "recursion yes;" to enable
recursion.
> > the allow-recursion part was only to filter for whom your bind will
resolve
> > recursive queries. you'll have to add both inside the "options { ... };"
part
> > of your named.conf.local.
>
> Done this and bind has no issues restarting. Problem however is I
> still can not for the life of me ping an external website. It just
> seems like such a silly thing that it works when bind is off and
> doesn't when it's active...
> --
> Regards
> Justin Hartman
> PGP Key ID: 102CC123

Is this a fresh bind install?  Or have you made any changes to the configs?
 A fresh install should resolve names normally.  Also, do you have
resolveconf installed?  It will swtich out your /etc/resolv.conf file when
you start up bind, take note of what is in there beofre and after
 you start up bind, maybe something in there is messing things up.

--
Regards
Justin Hartman