Re: Sarge Server with Sid Client? [was Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to ...]

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 07:42:27PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 11:49:35AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> >
> > [Probably a silly question, but its something that I've been thinking
> > about]
> >
> > Is there any problems running clients on Sid, but having your servers
> > running stable? An example which springs to mind would be postgreSQL
> > where the Sarge version is 7.x and Sid's client is
> > postgresql-client-8.1.

> The answer is (as it is at many other times) "it depends."
>
> I don't recall off the top of my head, but the psql client might well be
> able to speak to the older version of the server.  In reality, the
> client is just communicating using SQL (plus some meta commands), so
> unless there has been some sort of non-compatible language change, you
> are probably OK.
>
> For other programs, it just depends.  However, I would wager that most
> things that are network capable can either deal with different versions
> of applications connecting together or have some sort of compatibility
> (like NFS, which allows you to enable versions 2, 3 and 4 support for
> clients).

Ah of course. I now remember why I thought of this. I wrote a simple c
program to access my postgreSQL database and when I updated, the c
program would no longer work. This was due to a change in the libraries
versions. Of course, a recompile worked ok.

Thanks for the insight. It helps to see the "big picture" when some of
the fog clears. :-)

--
Chris.
======