Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 21:52 +0200, Joe Hart wrote:
> > If I'm not mistaken, Google have some similar deal with the Mozilla
> > Corporation, that's why Firefox ships with the little search box set to
> > Google.
> >

> Ah, you mean the same search box that is on iceweasel and on konqueror.
>  Do you think it's there because of some sort of conspiracy by google to
> rule the planet?  Or perhaps because it is handy (and you can change it
> to use whatever search engine you want).
>
> I see a flamewar starting.

Flamewar? :-)

The Mozilla Corporation is for-profit, and it's no secret that they have
a deal with Google. I was merely pointing out that I know little of the
details of that deal, but it could be one way for Dell to sell ad space.

About the Mozilla Corporation - Google deal,

        "It also defaults to Google search in its engine option on the
        Search Bar within the browser navigational toolbar. Mozilla gets
        paid for each search, regardless of whether or not you click on
http://www.spamdailynews.com/publish/Mozilla_making_tens_of_millions_of_dollars_from_Firefox.asp

(This was one of the first hits, I'm sure there are more credible
sources)

Google also have a special start page for Firefox, I think it's the
default for the builds from mozilla.com.
http://www.google.se/firefox

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson