Re: Blog clients and the new Blogger Atom API

Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:50:58 -0400
> Matthew K Poer <matthewpoer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Celejar wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to use various blog posting clients with a new Blogger blog.
>>> I've tried BloGTK and Drivel, and they have ca't connect to Blogger. A
>>> little (a lot) of Googling shows me that the new API has broken old
>>> clients, but I'm unable to figure out if there's a workaround, or an
>>> alternative solution. Is anyone using a linux client successfully with
>>> the new Blogger? Is there another free blog hosting site you'd
>>> recommend? (I may try Wordpress.com.)
>>>
>>> Celejar
>>>
>> Blogger Beta, or Blogger 2, or whatever it is called now, drastically
>> changed the API. They moved from static to database-driven posting,
>> changed the template system, etc. The change even broke Google's own
>> Picasa's "Post Photos to Blog" functionality. If there is a debian
>> packaged-client for Blogger, it sure won't be in stable.
>
> Thanks; I basically gathered as much, but you've confirmed it. I saw
> the Picasa fumble on one of Google's Blogger blogs. I'm using unstale,
> but I believe the upstream hasn't updates the clients yet (BloGTK
> specifically mentions the issue in its FAQ).
>> But then, Blogger isn't OSS anyway. Wordpress is. I recommend it
>> completely over anything else out there. You can use wordpress.com, or
>> get a free web host and do it yourself (recommended). Installation is
>> almost 100% automatic from the wordpress-version#.tar.gz file. And
>> actually, it should be able to import your blogger posts, or typepad,
>> or whatever you may have used before.
>>
>> I like WP. I feel compelled to share my WP Love banner:
>> http://matthewpoer.freehostia.com/WPdedication.gif
>
> I was quite interested in WP, partly due to its open-sourceness; I'm
> not completely sure why I started with Blogger. I'll definitely take
> another look at it. Thanks also to the pointer to free web hosting. I
> see you use Freehostia. Are you happy with it? I see it has quite good
> reviews [0]. Do you or anyone else have anything to say on the pros and
> cons of Freehostia or any other free web hosting service? Any
> recommendations / warnings?
>
> Thanks again,
> Celejar
>
> [0] http://www.free-webhosts.com/reviews/FreeHostia.php

Yes, I am using FreeHostia. What can I say? It's free. I've yet to
notice a downtime in the past two/three months. Control Panel works.
They run LAMP (Debian, I think...). For free, you get (trying to
remember) a gig of space, 1 MySQL database, PHP/CGI useage, access to
whatever scripts they have on CP. FTP access, no SSH/SFTP. Free subdomain.

No complaints here.

For WP, it is OSS. Plus it's in [simple and organized] PHP, so if you do
find a bug or something you do not like, you can fix it. There are many
plugins around the 'net to choose from, as well as templates.

--
Matthew K Poer