Re: Openssh-server installation in etch

Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 07:14:02PM +0800, Tim Yang wrote:
>> I agree it could be good for secuirity, but it was
>> not implemented before.
>> Every distribution I used such as Fedora, SUSE,
>> and even sarge installed ssh server
>> by default and people using the service never have
>> to think about how to do when the service vanished.
>> Now it is changed so there might be some consequences
>> needing attention.
>>
>> Tim Yang
>>

> Well it's easy to install it anyway. Takes 10 seconds.
>
> pobega@ackbar /home/pobegA
>> aptitute search ssh | grep server
> p	openssh-server                  - Secure shell server
> v	ssh-server

slight spelling mistake there.  You mean aptitude.

apt-cache search server yields a bit more, actually far too much to list
here and still have a readable message but even grepping it yields more
than that:

joe@lr32:~$ apt-cache search server | grep ssh
aolserver4-nssha1 - AOLserver4 module: performs SHA1 hashes
denyhosts - an utility to help sys admins thwart ssh hackers
jta - Java telnet/ssh applet
libganymed-ssh2-java - pure Java implementation of the SSH-2 protocol
openssh-server - Secure shell server, an rshd replacement
scanssh - get SSH server versions for an entire network
ssh - Secure shell client and server (transitional package)
ssh-krb5 - Secure shell client and server (transitional package)
sshfs - filesystem client based on SSH File Transfer Protocol
sshm - A command-line tool to manage your ssh servers

Needless to say, it isn't hard to find, but one needs to know to look
for it.  I agree that it shouldn't be installed by default, and people
who try to ssh to the machine will figure out quickly that there is no
ssh server present, and can easily remedy the situation, but the
administrator must have some knowledge of how to search for package.

I suppose one should have some idea how to network administration before
setting up a network server in the first place, and it does help to read
the documentation.

Joe

- --