Re: Openssh-server installation in etch

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 10:46:25AM +0800, Tim Yang wrote:

> However I found a little problem. Since it is a server, I
> try to connect from another box with SSH and it was
> refused. I found out the problem was that the SSH server
> was not installed. Only openssh client was installed,
> not the server. I have to manually apt-get the openssh server
> and install it.
>
> My question is if this is a feature or bug?

It is neither, it is just how Debian does things. Most users don't
need an SSH server installed, and that only opens up their computers
to outside attacks (Now I wonder why other distros even had it
installed), which is the most probable reason why it was removed.

I mean, how many people use SSH servers on a daily basis (I bet loads
do, but I'd assume most don't). And how many people actually run a
server on their local computer (Besides Apache, which I'm sure almost
everybody runs). Putting an SSH server into a new installation without
an iptables configuration is really begging to be attacked.