Re: Sarge Server with Sid Client? [was Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to ...]

Dave Ewart wrote:
On Tuesday, 27.03.2007 at 23:25 -0400, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:

[Probably a silly question, but its something that I've been
thinking about]

Is there any problems running clients on Sid, but having your
servers running stable? An example which springs to mind would be
postgreSQL where the Sarge version is 7.x and Sid's client is
postgresql-client-8.1.

I am guessing that you can't use the postgresql-client-8.1, i.e.
psql, but would have to use ODBC or something similar.

Do you have to worry about which versions of software your users are
installing to access your servers, or, do you control all of that.
No really, all new versions are able to communicate with older
versions.  In fact in your server you need is what's more stable so
must of servers (with Debian) are Sarge or Stable and you can use them
even if you're in another thing different to Debian.

Generally, old-to-new and new-to-old will probably work fine for many
applications.

Your specific example, however, PostgreSQL: I found a *large* number of
quirks and not-quite-bugs when attempting to communicate from a psql
client on an old system to PG server on a newer one.

Dave.

It's probably easier to have a newer client working on an older server than the other way around.

So, it is probably safe for him to have his workstations more up-to-date than his servers, which is what he mentioned in the first place.

I'm not sure with PostgreSQL, though, since I have never used it.

Cheers
Cassiano