Re: Sarge Server with Sid Client? [was Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to ...]

On Tuesday, 27.03.2007 at 23:25 -0400, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:

> > [Probably a silly question, but its something that I've been
> > thinking about]
> >
> > Is there any problems running clients on Sid, but having your
> > servers running stable? An example which springs to mind would be
> > postgreSQL where the Sarge version is 7.x and Sid's client is
> > postgresql-client-8.1.
> >
> > I am guessing that you can't use the postgresql-client-8.1, i.e.
> > psql, but would have to use ODBC or something similar.
> >
> > Do you have to worry about which versions of software your users are
> > installing to access your servers, or, do you control all of that.
>
> No really, all new versions are able to communicate with older
> versions.  In fact in your server you need is what's more stable so
> must of servers (with Debian) are Sarge or Stable and you can use them
> even if you're in another thing different to Debian.

Generally, old-to-new and new-to-old will probably work fine for many
applications.

Your specific example, however, PostgreSQL: I found a *large* number of
quirks and not-quite-bugs when attempting to communicate from a psql
client on an old system to PG server on a newer one.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org