Re: Debian for Desktop [Was: Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock]

On 3/23/07, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 09:25:09AM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > to happen.  Debian includes desktop users but is not focused on them.
> > But recently there was some interest in a 'desktop' group in debian
> > to focus on this for lenny.
>
> Do you mean http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop ?
>
> They are working since sarge was testing, and that is a looong time.
> But some of their goals have been reached.

Please ignore that content, it needs update. If you have doubts about
the Debian Desktop status ask on debian-desktop mailing list
(debian-desktop@lists.debian.org) or read the following:

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-desktop
http://stratusandtheswirl.blogspot.com/2006/12/debian-desktop-call-for-tests.html

In short, with Etch you will be able to install a complete desktop
environment (default is GNOME), but there are first CD alternatives
containing KDE and other Xfce. If you don't have bandwidth issues
you're free to download netinst images and install desktop (twm),
gnome-desktop, kde-desktop or xfce-desktop. We call these set of
packages tasks (package: tasksel) but you're also able to install them
using aptitude.

During Lenny development cycle we will work more for further desktop
customizations through others packages preseeding (eg: grub to deliver
a splash screen during boot using splashy or usplash). Get involved
mailing debian-desktop@lists.debian.org.

Have fun!

regards,
-- stratus