configuring apt.conf

Hi every body

I want to customize the apt.conf, in order to save the cache of the
packages ( by default) the cache is deleted, but it is not working,
although I followed the doc
In fact I created a local repository with in sources.list
deb file:///home etch/

and I want to put there all the downloaded files, so I copy the files
from /var/cache/apt/archive  unfortunatly, the downloaded file are not
stored there.
It was in previous release!!!!

so following the doc I create the apt.conf like this:

APT
{
    Clean-Installed "false";
DSelect
{
  Clean "never";   // always|auto|prompt|never
 }
};
Is there an error ??
I tried it with synaptic too, same problem!!!

thanks for help
bela