Installation advice needed for a really stable desktop machine

Hi!

I've been using sid for amd64 on my production machine since before it became an official debian port, but for the next few years I will have 0 time for fixing stuff that might break, and so I'm gonna use stable instead, starting with etch. Ideally I should make the move in the next few days, and I would very much appreciate some advice:

* If I install testing today and change apt sources to stable when etch is done (and do 'aptitude dist-upgrade'), will I have the same installation as I would have if I had waited to do a clean stable install?

* I'm considering the i386 port instead of amd64, since i need to use wine and possibly some aliened 32-bit applications and don't want to bother with a chroot environment. Are there any stability issues using the i386 port with an amd64 processor, and will there be much lost in the way of performance?

* I'm still learning about raid. I have two disks that I can use for / and /home in raid-1, but what should I do with swap? Is there a point/performance loss in putting swap on a raid device? I have a third disk where I could put the swap partition.

I'm using an Athlon X2 3800 processor, 4G ram and an Abit KN8-Ultra nForce4 motherboard.

Please help!

/landhaj

always stay connected to friends.