Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> Joe Hart wrote:

> Exactly.  So, if you want to keep your software current and run Ubuntu,
> then you need to reinstall the operating system every six months.  If
> you run Debian Stable, it will be every few years and you won't get the
> lastest versions, but you don't have to reinstall anything.  The
> dist-upgrade will work.
>
> However, run Testing and you'll get semi up to date packages and
> stability (most of the time) but you don't get security patches.
>
>> Ummm.... When was the last time you looked at /etc/apt/sources.list in a
>> fresh testing install?  There are entries for the security repositories
>> there by default.  Security updates for testing have been happening for
>> many months now.

Yes, Etch install includes security.  I assumed that is because it is
about to become stable.  According to the debian-reference, testing does
not normally get security updates, unstable does, and they filter down
to testing, so it is a minimum of 10 days between an unstable fix and a
testing fix due to the way the packages migrate.  Has this policy changed?

Joe