Re: web browser choices

Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 02:01:30AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:03:33 -0600
>> "Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > I'm sure you'll get better and more pertinent replies, even for the
>> > opera vs firefox never ending war.  If you'd like to have java

They're only pertinent if they mention both programs in an unbiased manner.
That's rare on a newsgroup posting, unfortunately (ditto webpages ;-).

>> > support, https, and occasionally flash, then I don't see lynx, links,
>> > dillo, etc, supporting any of that.  Hopefully I'm wrong...  As I
>>
>> You're in luck - you're wrong about links :); it supports https.

ditto lynx, w3m.

> Somethings I've found interesting when comparing browsers:  It seems that
> only Lynx supports viewing a gzip file eg README.gz.  Only Lynx and

Actually w3m does that too (also .bz2, .Z files like lynx ;-).
The (e)links(2) flavors do some of that stuff (not as much as lynx(*)).

(*) well lynx doesn't do samba urls,
    so it didn't get noticed on bugtraq recently...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net