Re: web browser choices

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 02:01:30AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:03:33 -0600
> "Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I'm sure you'll get better and more pertinent replies, even for the
> > opera vs firefox never ending war.  If you'd like to have java
> > support, https, and occasionally flash, then I don't see lynx, links,
> > dillo, etc, supporting any of that.  Hopefully I'm wrong...  As I
>
> You're in luck - you're wrong about links :); it supports https.

Somethings I've found interesting when comparing browsers:  It seems that
only Lynx supports viewing a gzip file eg README.gz.  Only Lynx and
IceApe (don't know about other mozilla) view plain text internally;
knoquorer and galeon open a notpad thingy.  Only IceApe lets me specify
the location of the cache (per-user tmp on my encrypted swap tmpfs
/tmp).

KDE says one can configure everything.  I haven't figure out how to
configure the cache location; any ideas?

It seems that there is on _one_ browser that does everything.  I may be
able to configure it to run less on *.gz.  My main concern with the
mozilla-based browsers is the frequency of security issues.  Yes the
security team keeps on top of it all but I'd rather use a rock solid
browser.

Thanks for all your ideas.

Doug.