Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:26:25AM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> The most challenging thing in the whole installation was getting the
> wireless working as she wanted. The card itself was detected without any
> problems. Basically, it had to work at home, at her lab where she works
> and also at another lab which she sometimes visits and, ideally, at any
> other hotspot (conferences etc.). I was getting some trouble setting up
> this thing the Debian way. It took me quite a while to get it working at
> both places, home and her lab, using profiles in interfaces file.
> However, the solution was not ideal. IIRC, for any new wireless network,
> one had to be root to add a profile. In Ubuntu however, I discovered
> network-manager and nm-applet. With these two, the key was never to
> touch the /etc/network/interfaces file and configure everything from the
> manager -- as a normal user. The nm-applet actually shows all the
> available wireless networks and one only to put his/her key to
> authenticate. No need to become root. The keys are saved on a per user
> basis. This method in Ubuntu actually solved the
> wireless-anywhere-connection problem.

nm-applet is available on Debian too. apt-cache search
network-manager- will bring up both network-manager-gnome and
network-manager-kde, which can be executed with "nm-applet" and
"kdenetworkmanager" respectively.

Anything you can do on Ubuntu you can do on Debian, but the truth is
that Debian provides much more functionality, stability, and ease of
use than Ubuntu (Editing config files one time takes less time than
troubleshooting the problems Ubuntu throws at you in my opinion), as
well as much larger repositories (Which, next to the stability and the
social contract, is my favorite thing about Debian).