Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

Steve Lamb wrote:
Joe Hart wrote:
If Ubuntu = Debian, then one could install Ubuntu packages on one's
Debian system.  They could install Debian packages on their Ubuntu.
While some might work, the majority of them will not.  Why not?  Because
Ubuntu is not Debian.  They are similar, I'll give you that.

    Er are you sure you're both speaking on the same level?  I mean
technically your correct but from what I can tell from the quote Ian might not
be talking strictly in the technical sense.  He may, in fact, be talking about
the ideal of Debian and not pure technical specs.  If that is the case Ubuntu
can indeed equal Debian.

I would have a hard time saying Ubuntu==Debian on a technical level too. I just tried an Ubuntu install on a laptop and the process of configuring WPA on that laptop was another animal altogether than doing the same thing when running Debian. To tell the truth the Debian way of doing things, and I'll admit I'm biased because I'm far more familiar with Debian, is more straightforward and seems more logical to me. It doesn't hide anything like the Ubuntu way of doing things does.